Tuesday, August 12, 2014

5 Misconceptions About Stay At Home Moms

What do you do all day?

How do you do it?

Since you're not doing anything, could you watch my kids, too?

Your husband must really be raking in the dough for you to stay home, huh?

Hey, why haven't you showered yet? It's noon!

Blah, blah, blah.

Those are only a few of the questions that I receive on a semi-regular basis.


Unfortunately, writing out an entire list and handing them out like fliers to everyone who asks would be frowned upon in my neck of the woods. I guess it's what people call "rude." Huh. Because asking a mom what she does all day isn't rude.

I digress. Anyway, tonight, I'm going to list for you five of the most common misconceptions about SAHMs like myself, and I'm going to respond to each and every one of them in the manner that I'd like to respond to people when they ask me.

I suppose it will be kind of like a therapy session for me.

Free therapy is a win, right?

Anyway, moving along...

You sit around all day.


When people ask me what I do all day, I feel like the expected response is something along the lines of, "Oh, you know, just sit around in my pajamas and watch soap operas." Now, don't get me wrong. All of us moms have those days when we try to do very little. Like, for instance, sometimes I'll have cartoon marathons with the kiddos. For the most part, however, I'm working just like everyone else with a "day job." Cooking, cleaning, errands, playing, laundry, homeschooling, driving little people to karate class, pretending to fall to make a whiny baby giggle--you name it, I do it.

Sitting consists of approximately 3% of my day--and that's when I'm blogging, or folding laundry.


You're lazy.


Just because my house isn't clean when you arrive, does not mean that it wasn't spotless five minutes before you walked in the door. I assure you that I clean my house up to 5 times a day, but if I turn my back for a minute, it's back to looking like a tornado blew through the place. Why? Um, well, because I have these miniature humans called "kids." These kids are odd little creatures who like to eat, play, and get dirty. Those three things typically lead to dirty dishes, a mess of toys in the floor, and a full laundry basket.

Next time, I'll just invite you over so that you can watch me clean. Afterward, we'll watch these minions of mine and see if they can break the record for the fastest mess ever made.


You wish you had a real job.

Hold on. Excuse me while I give my kids a bath, cook lunch, prepare dinner, go over five hours of lessons with my son, grocery shop, attend karate class, walk to play dates at the park, take a five minute shower, eat standing up, and do whatever else is on (and not on) the agenda for today.

I'm sorry, what were you saying again? A "real" job? I am pretty sure raising the next generation classifies as a "real" job, thank you very much.


The only bottoms you own are yoga pants.


No, no, no. It's not what it looks like. I own jeans. I actually own a few pairs of dress pants, too. Changing into them is an entirely different story. Unless I'm leaving the house, I'm staying in these stretchy pants--because getting on my hands and knees and chasing my kids around while simultaneously scrubbing the floor isn't nearly as comfortable in jeans.


You're a raging alcoholic in the making.


Oh, come on. Don't be such a prude. There is absolutely no harm in drinking a beer while folding the laundry. Or having a glass of wine every time a dinner recipe calls for it. Or pouring a shot of rum in your sweet tea while you vacuum the house.

Er, well, I suppose only time will tell. Grab a chair and we'll talk about it over a shot of vodka.


To sum things up, being a mom is a job. It's a hard job. It's a job where you're paid in kisses and hugs instead of dollars and cents. It's a job that allows you to have the occasional glass of wine. It's a job that never allows you to call in sick. It has its ups. It has its downs. That's it, and that's all. So, what do I do all day? I work. Just like you.



Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

6 comments:

  1. I know exaclty what it's like to be a stay at home mother because I am one as well. Everyone thinks we have it easy but the truth is it's not easy. I love staying home with my kids and I wouldn't change that but it can be challenging and stressful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know the feeling since I'm not a mother and am currently attending college but I do know a couple of stay at home moms and I can tell that it's anything BUT easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. A lady I know called me yesterday and asked me if I can do a job for her and I asked what it is and she said "would you be able to fetch my daughter from school?" Now, normally I would say yes but I told her no because she is a stay at home Mom too just like me, whatda.... I mean, hubby and I sacrificed things just so I could stay home and take care of our kids, why would I take care of yours if you are just home anyway, take care of your own and I will take care if mine lol,. Sounds harsh but hey, it is not easy to take care of someone else's kids when your hands are full with your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg this is so true! I am a stay at home Mom as well and everyone thinks it's sooo easy! It's hard work and it's a 24/7 job not a 9/5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling, I get these questions and more quite often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I get pretty much every one of these questions on a regular basis. People definitely have a misconception of stay at home parents and what we actually do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS