Thursday, August 7, 2014

Arrow Queen, New Carlisle Review

I scream, you scream. We all scream for ice cream!

I'm a sucker for delicious ice cream. I remember growing up, I always thought that Ameristop had the best ice cream. If you're unsure as to what Ameristop is, it's just a small convenience store and gas station where we used to stop for soft-serve or ICEEs.

That all changed when I first tried Dairy Queen. And just when I thought that was the best ice cream around, I came across Arrow Queen in New Carlisle, Ohio.



To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the overall appearance of the place. To me, it was a tiny "hole-in-the-wall" joint, but what struck me as odd was that it was always busy. I remember one year they opened in March and even though the weather was ridiculous (at least 5 inches of snow on the ground), people were waiting in line for their ice cream cones.




*All photos courtesy Arrow Queen's Facebook page.


When I first tried it, it blew my mind. I should have known better than to judge a book by its cover. I kid you not, the ice cream is absolutely delicious, affordable, and various types of ice cream are available, including a spin-off on the McDonald's Blizzard's, called "Cyclones." They also offer a "Dawgie Sundae" for your furry friends, for only $0.50. It's vanilla ice cream with a dog treat on top.

Oh, and if you're not up for ice cream, they have dozens of other goodies to offer including soft pretzels, foot-long hot dogs, taco salad, chicken fingers, and even fried mushrooms!

Arrow Queen Large Taco Salad, $5.65

When I first ordered a soft pretzel, I was impressed. For only $2.35, I received a GIANT soft pretzel with cheese and salt. It was perfectly soft and absolutely delicious. I typically order this every time I visit the place. And of course, they may be over-salted, but it's nothing to shake off the excess (and you can order them without salt if you'd like).

They have various kinds of foot-long hot dogs, including the "New Carlisle" that is topped with chili, cheese, and jalapenos. The Cincinnati is another favorite of mine, with chili, cheese, onions.

I look forward to the opening of Arrow Queen every year. As it turns out, many people do. While waiting in line one day, I overheard a couple talking to other customers about how they live two-cities away, but just had to have their favorite ice cream.



Just for the record, it is true that the food takes quite a long time to prepare and cook, as it is made to order. It is highly recommended that you call ahead, place your order, and then pick it up and order your ice cream when you get there.

While Arrow Queen may not be the most aesthetically pleasing place, it's been around for a long time, and quality has never suffered, according to those who have been around since it's opening. Many memories have been made here, including memories that I've created with my children.

If you're ever in the area of New Carlisle, or Dayton, make your way down to Arrow Queen. You won't regret it!



Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS