Saturday, August 2, 2014

Fifteen Dollar Dresser Upcycle

This dresser upcycle was under $15, believe it or not.



I've never really been much of a DIY-er. I'm far too impatient for that sort of thing. In fact, this was my first true DIY project. It happened on a whim, and I just kind of ran with the idea.


I mean, this thing was really falling apart, and being that it belonged to my dad when he was a child, I couldn't simply part with it.


Now, be advised, that this whole process happened with absolutely no planning on my part. Nothing. Which means that you're going to read all about the problems that I ran into as well. And there were quite a few--but nothing a little creativity and rummaging couldn't fix.

Starting off, all I really did was grab a hammer. I started beating away, pulling out nails, and getting splinters until I had this piece of work.


Keep in mind, I did not purchase nails, wood, or any hardware. No planning, remember? I simply reused everything that I pulled out of this old thing. I did, however, go buy spray paint and duct tape (I'll explain the duct tape later), but that was after I had tore the thing to pieces.


This "shelf" was actually from one of the drawers. As you can see, it's drooping in the middle. I wasn't going to stand for droopiness. So, what did I do?

I grabbed another box that was lying around that just so happened to have a very durable "rod" of cardboard stuck to it.


I ripped that piece of cardboard off, cut it in half with a kitchen knife (aren't I so crafty?), and used that to hold up my middle shelf. Staple gun engaged. A little better now.

If you're wondering why, all of a sudden, there are diaper boxes on the shelves, it's because I randomly decided that they would later become storage containers for my new "dresser thingy." I needed to know whether or not they would fit properly or if I needed to cut those bad boys down, too. I mean, I already had my kitchen knife ready.


So, yeah. They fit. No kitchen knife needed. Darn.

Before I move on, I'll explain the duct tape. I purchased a roll of zebra patterned duct tape to decorate the diaper boxes. I felt that it was worth mentioning since you're just going to see random zebra designs on the boxes in the next couple of photos. I apparently never took a photograph of the duct tape itself.

Now for the fun part.


Spray paint. Yes. What you're seeing is the "cheap" stuff.

*Random Jabbering* I am the type of person who reviews a product thoroughly before purchasing. However, not this time. I did do a little research about spray paint, and against my better judgment, I ignored all of the warnings about buying the cheap stuff. I purchased it anyway, three cans to be exact, and sadly, it wasn't enough. Yes, I ran out of two of my most important supplies in the middle of a project and didn't feel like hauling the kiddos out in the rain to get more. That's the main reason why this project took me so long. But, you know, that's what happens when you don't plan.

Anyway, I used the spray paint to paint the diaper boxes and the dresser, and unfortunately, the paint wasn't glossy at all. I don't know why I expected it to be. It didn't say "high gloss" or anything, plus, it only cost me $1.25 per can.

Once I ran out, I actually found a can of black spray paint just chillin' in my garage. The brand was Red Devil, so I gave it a shot. I sprayed it on one of the boxes before it, too, gave out on me. Sadly, my idea to use two different types of spray paint bit me in the bum. The Red Devil was a high-gloss spray paint. There was a huge difference in the two boxes.

You can see for yourself. Below is my "high gloss" diaper box (with a poorly attached white lining that was once an old bed sheet).

Did I mention that I'm not much of a DIY-er?


Anddddd here is my "not-so-high-gloss" container that actually had a part of the diaper box design peeking through.


Unfortunately, I was out of spray paint (that's what I get for not planning)...soooo, what's a girl to do?


Oh, nothing major. Just scribble it in with a permanent marker, of course. A cheap short cut, yes. But effective. For now, anyway.



After I took this picture, I noticed that the left box was lumpy around the corner, and the designs weren't a perfect match (more zebra design on the right box). Again with the no planning thing. More mistakes to fix. Which I did eventually fix all of the aforementioned mistakes--the lumpiness, the non-glossy box, and the mis-matched design.

*Random Jabbering* My husband would say that the mismatchiness (yes, I said that) gives the "dresser thingy" character. Of course, I disagree. Isn't that why people get married? To disagree?

So, without further adieu, I give to you thee finished product.


Oh, if you're wondering, that picture on the top--the one of the tree--was another project of mine. I made it using an old file box lid, a black worn-out shirt, and some cardstock. If anyone seems interested, I'll do a tutorial on that another day.

All in all, this project cost me $14.75. That's the cost of the spray paint and duct tape. Everything else, I had lying around.

Man. Am I cheap or what?

I hope you got something out of this, whether it was a laugh, inspiration, or someone to make fun of on their first DIY adventure.

Toodles!



Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS